Philosophy and Goals
At Learning Pathways Child Care Centre and Kindergarten we provide high quality care for all children. Every child is treated equally and we ensure each child benefits from the caring, secure and nurturing environment of the centre. We treat children as unique individuals and encourage them to develop at their own pace through exploration and discovery of their environment and the people around them. We foster every child’s development through child initiated and interest based opportunities. We provide appropriate resources for this development to occur. The centre promotes community awareness and support of the child care centre through effective networking with children, staff, families and members of the community. We support and encourage open communication with families and ask them to share their ideas, values and expectations. We invite families to be involved at the centre and promote an open-door policy. Learning Pathways Child Care Centre and Kindergarten will, at all times, ensure the high quality of care provided supports and respects every child, staff member, family and the community as a whole.
In relation to children we believe:
- Every child needs a sense of belonging within our centre. All children have a voice and play an active role in their own learning and development.
- Children need to be valued as individuals, within the context of their selves, their families and their communities That play is the way children learn, develop and grow
- Children require an environment that acts as a third teacher and that is rich in resources that will promote exploration and play.
- Children must have endless opportunities to express themselves and their ideas. Learning should be holistic and develop the whole child Children should play an active role in their learning to shape their own identities
- Children are able to learn through experiences of touching, moving, listening, seeing and hearing Children deserve the right to be respected and to experience warm and positive interactions in a safe surrounding
In relation to families we believe:
- That families are a child’s first teacher and are viewed as partners collaborators and advocates for their children and that their role is highly respected
- Families are to be involved in the curriculum and that this will encourage partnership and connection between the child, family and centre.
- All families are individual and we encourage families to share their culture, language and home experiences with the centre
- All communication and practices should respect family cultural backgrounds and promote understanding of differing beliefs or attitudes Families are key decision makers and are consulted with regard to relevant issues and policies.
In relation to educational programs and practices we believe:
- That by working with and linking our educational programs to the Early Years Learning framework, Queensland Kindergarten Guidelines, our philosophy and goals we can offer the best possible learning opportunities for each child.
- Our programs are an innovative and inspiring approach to early childhood education which values children as strong, capable and resilient. Every child brings with them a deep curiosity
- and potential which drives their interest to understand the world and their place within it.
In relation to our community we believe:
- In striving to be a centre of excellence for and within our community
- In valuing and utilising the diverse talents, knowledge and experiences of the community for the children, staff and families of the centre
- It is necessary to best practice to promote networking with other people and services within the community
- In acting as social advocates for the children by helping the broader community understand the importance of early childhood
In relation to staff we believe:
- In providing quality care always
- In staff members working together in achieving common and centre goals.
- The centre must encourage staff to attend in-service training, external workshops and professional development courses Staff praise, role model and reinforce appropriate behavior.
- In providing enriching experiences and encouraging and promoting learning and development through going observations and evaluations
- Staff are required to be involved in evaluations and decision making of the centre to help ensure the centre is a high-quality service