At Learning Pathways Child Care Centre & Kindergarten our curriculum is guided by the Early Years Learning Framework: Belonging, Being, Becoming and the Kindergarten Guidelines. These elements form the foundations for educators in developing quality programs that meet children’s individual needs and acknowledges their strengths and interests.
- Belonging: is the basis for living a fulfilling life. Children feel they belong because of the relationships they have with their family, community, culture and place.
- Being: is about living here and now. Childhood is a special time in life and children need time to just ‘be’- time to play, try new things and have fun.
- Becoming: is about the learning and development that young children experience. Children start to form their sense of identity from an early age, which shapes the type of adult they will become. View File
Our educators take a child initiated approach to learning and planning to ensure that the individual needs of each child and the group as a whole are met. Our curriculum is inspired by the fundamental principles that:
- Children are capable of constructing their own learning- they are driven by their interests to understand and know more.
- Children are communicators- There is a strong focus on collaboration, working in groups where each child is valued for their thoughts and questions and project work.
- The Environment is the third teacher- we recognise the environment for its potential to inspire children. We promote an environment filled with natural light, order and beauty.Each environment is carefully planned to provide children with the opportunity to explore, experiment and manipulate as they become empowered to make choices and be independent learners.
- As adults we are mentors and guides- our role is to observe, listen, explore interests and provide opportunities
- We emphasise on documenting children’s thoughts- we carefully display and document children’s progression of thinking
- We believe in the hundred languages of children- children use many different ways to show their understanding and express their thoughts and creativity.
At Learning Pathways Child Care Centre & Kindergarten our curriculum incorporates sustainable practices that all children actively participate in daily. From making compost with their food scraps, to worm farms and recycling of everyday materials, helps our children gain an understanding of the importance of sustainability and how they can make a meaningful contribution to the world in which we live. We have an experienced gardener who attends the centre weekly to assist the children with their vegetable patches and extending their knowledge on plants and helping them grow.
We provide opportunities for children to participate in extra curricula activities made available at the centre. It extends on the children’s interests and range from soccer, music, yoga and the learning of French through the Early Learning Languages Australia program.
Our children’s learning and interests are documented in individual portfolios and these portfolios incorporate a variety of material from observations, learning stories, photos, artwork and drawings. These portfolios are available for viewing at any time and interviews with educators are available upon request. Parents, families and community member’s ideas and input are always welcome and encouraged to assist in children’s learning and planning.
We provide an innovative approach to curriculum by implementing Kindyhub which is a revolutionary online program which tracks and records childrens development and education and enables wonderful communication between the centre and families. For more information please visit http://www.kindyhub.com.au